Tuesday 7 July 2015

Different Perspectives



I often wondered how come the Ong household had siblings who were brought up and loved in the same way, but were so different.  The only reason I could pin it down to was that my brother was accidentally dropped on his head when he was born. 

I picked out a few photographs to illustrate my point:

My brother's idea of hobnobbing with celebrities was to spend his afternoons staking out celebrity chefs like Gordon Ramsay or prowling around Martin Yan for a shameless wefie.





My idea of hobnobbing with celebrities was to interview football pundit Ossie Ardilles or jump Tottenham Hotspur's superstar striker Harry Kane for an autograph.




This would be my brother's idea of fitness.



This would be my idea of fitness.



I thought my brother was quirky when he shaped his eyebrows regularly.



My brother thought I was quirky when I read Tarot and Numerology for clients most evenings.


My brother's idea of having a light Japanese meal would be this.


My idea of a light Japanese meal would be this. 



My brother always found a reason to celebrate. One such occasion was National Strawberry Sundae Day.



I too often found a reason to celebrate, like the National Eat Your Vegetables Day.



But in the end, differences notwithstanding, I loved my only brother for being my court jester who would always watch my back.




About The Writer:

This blog post was co-written by my brother Jerome and I. Although we are siblings who grew up 11 years apart, shaped by differing experiences to see the world from different perspectives, we do share a common obsession – FOOD.  We celebrate our passion for life with food.  However, our attitudes to food are quite different and the way we celebrate our love for food are also quite different.  Jerome lives to eat and hoovers everything edible that crosses his path.  As he shovels food into his mouth with that fork in his right hand, he takes photographs of what he eats, and posts pictures and notes up on Facebook with his left.  Often, his beautifully written prose about what he had eaten would be 7 paragraphs in length and would not have any punctuations in between because he had been too busy multi-tasking.  

I, on the other hand, eat to live. It is not just about my attempts to eat healthily. As I am a “cam-whore” and “social media hussy”, I spend about half an hour styling my food, taking photographs, writing notes and posting them across my social media platforms before eating them, right after the hubby has paid for the bill and is about to head out of the restaurant.  I enjoy reading all my posts about what I had eaten because I know that I had lived fully in spite of watching what I eat.  Welcome to the foodie world of the quirky Ong siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment